From: youreallythoughtiwouldgiveyoumy-eh at yahoo.com (youreallythoughtiwouldgiveyoumy-eh@...oo.com)
Subject: XP vs 2K

Hi Joe (and list),

Sorry about that, I apologize, it wasn't my server
service. I checked my records, and here is what I got
from the event log:

***

DCOM got error "This service cannot be started in Safe
Mode " attempting to start the service EventSystem
with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{1BE1F766-5536-11D1-B726-00C04FB926AF}

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. - (event id
10005)

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s)
failed to load:
AmdK7
Fips

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. - (event id
7026)

***

It looks like first something with DCOM is upset about
being disabled, and then problems w/ my AMD processor.
Interesting how this "Designed for Microsoft Windows
XP" laptop works *well* only when you don't tweak the
system settings. Also, these crashes are pre-SP2, and
after being completely up-to-date with the windows
update site (consequently, it was upsetting to see
that MS did not allow my laptop to use windows update
after having the above services disabled).  Anyways, I
am now using the same laptop to hunt-and-peck out this
note, running win2k, fully patched and updated, with
the same (similar) services disabled. I can never
remember having a similar crash with 2k. I did do a
little search online for the first error, and I didn't
find much, mostly just people posting the same
information into bbs's and forums. Gotta love windows
documentation ;) anyways, if anyone has seen something
similar before, it'd be interesting to hear about it,
or how they fixed it (if it's even fixable).

isk