From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: Re: Eudora 6.2 attachment spoof

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 05:31:14 EST, KF_lists said:
> Professional responses like that *reaaaaaaaaaaaaally* make me wanna go
> out and pay for Eudora.

OK.  So make a difference.  How much *more* are you willing to pay
for Eudora to make security a higher priority?

Yes, we security geeks all have a vested interest in whether Qualcomm
fixes the security holes *totally* - the white hats want them fixed,
the black hats don't.

But we mustn't lose sight of the fact that at the end of the month,
Qualcomm probably doesn't manage to pay a *single* programmer's salary
out of the income they get from selling "highly secure" Eudora - but
they probably manage to pay several programmers if they can advertise
"Now with *better* spam filtering!!"

As a result, spam filtering that impacts 95% of the user base gets more
programmer time/eyeballs than fixing some truly convoluted corner case in the
MIME handling that maybe gets used on 0.01% of the users, if that many.

Remember - software-for-money is a *business*, and decisions about priorities
will almost always be made based on the *business model*, not some moral
imperative, because you pay your expenses with sales income, not moral
imperatives.