From: broeker at physik.rwth-aachen.de (Hans-Bernhard Broeker)
Subject: Re: RX171104 Cscope v15.5 and minors - symlink vulnerability -
 advisory, exploit and patch.

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004, rexolab wrote:

>    VulnDiscovery:	2003/05/21
>    Release Date :	2004/11/17

Surely you're joking, Mr. Gangstuck.  You can't seriously be telling us
you sat on this for no less than 18 months, without telling anybody about
it.

Actually, I somewhat doubt you even discovered this yourself --- what with
this very bug having been posted to cscope's bugtracker on 2004-11-09.

>    Status       :	vendor has just been notified.

Actually, we've been notified 11 days ago, and apparently not by you.

>    First, the temporary directory (P_tmpdir="/tmp") is badly handled
>    in every myfopen() internal call.

[... there doesn't seem to be a "second", to that first...]

Anyway, you're right, the vulnerability is there.  Unfortunately your
patch is not quite sufficient to close it, because you overlooked
that temp2, one of the two predictable filenames, is also used to
construct an output redirection for a shell command run by cscope.

--
Hans-Bernhard Broeker (broeker@...sik.rwth-aachen.de)