From: michealespinola at gmail.com (Micheal Espinola Jr)
Subject: Why is IRC still around?

Is IRC bad?  Yes.
Is SMTP bad?  Yes.

Why?  Because they are simple and basic protocol  implementations
created decades ago.  Not that they aren't efficient and easy, but
they certainly have their shortcomings in terms of security and AAA.

Yes, people can certainly switch to other mediums which will in turn
be subject to abuse and exploits - but at least a more modern medium
will likely have more controls and accountability in place.

Whether or not there is any legitimate use of the IRC, we all know
that it has been a haven for illegal activity and abuse for at least
(2) decades now.

We need to move forward with technology.  Or would you rather be like
Microsoft - and attempt to be backward compatible for all-time - and
continue to use products that have fundamental flaws in them?

--
ME2
<http://www.santeriasys.net/rss.php>