From: mhoye at neon.polkaroo.net (Mike Hoye)
Subject: Windows user privileges

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 04:19:49PM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
> Windows has several groups.  By default users are in
> the "USERS" group, *not* the ADMINISTRATORS group.

On every XP install that I've seen from every major OEM (Dell, Compaq,
Gateway, etc) fast user switching is on by default and every user is
an administrator. Not "on most"; on every single one.

Furthermore, these machines don't have actual XP OS install CDs, they
usually come with "restore" CDs that just return the PC to this same
initial state if they're used, which they almost never are.

I have never seen a home user, that is to say change that setting or
create a user who is actually just a "User". Not once, ever.

> It might make sense if you actually had knowledge of an OS before you
> criticize it.

I don't think the question should be "why is IRC still around", I think
the question should be "why is full-disclosure turning into IRC?"

- Mike Hoye

--
"Buy land. They've stopped making it." - Mark Twain