From: geoincidents at nls.net (Geo.)
Subject: Why is IRC still around?

 >What would IT be like today without IRC (or the like)? Am I narrow
 >minded to say that it would be a much safer place?

I can easily show you the flaw in this thinking. Take it to the extreme and
ban everything except http and pop/smtp since that's all 95% of the users on
the net use anyway. If only those two existed would it stop virus or spam?

All that would accomplish is changing the infection and control vectors to
using only those two protocols. Well that and it would pretty much limit the
internet to being a newpaper/postoffice instead of maturing into a more
functional communications medium that drives innovation.

Geo.