From: prp17 at adelphia.net (Phillip R. Paradis)
Subject: [in] Re: IE is just as safe as FireFox

> either use sudo or su to do work as root, but Windows doesn't
> make users
> the admin by default *either*, unless you setup Fast User Switching
> *during* the install.

Windows XP doesn't allow that to be selected during installation. It is
activated or not based on available system memory during install; if your system
meets the threshold, it's enabled automatically, otherwise it is disabled. (but
the Welcome Screen logon UI remains enabled, and must be turned off manually via
the control panel or local policy if not desired.)

Windows DOES force you to create between 1 and 5 additional users (aside from
Administrator) during setup. I've always found that if only one account is
created, it is assigned to both the Users and Administrators groups; IIRC, the
same is true when two or more are created during setup.

If the system is configured to join a domain during setup, the above does not
apply; the welcome screen and fast user switching are disabled in a domain
setup. IIRC, no additional users are created, either, as they would generally be
created within the domain instead.

> That's simply false.  Windows has several groups.  By default
> users are in
> the "USERS" group, *not* the ADMINISTRATORS group.

True only when users are created AFTER installation.