From: mandreko at ori.net (Matt Andreko)
Subject: MS Windows Screensaver Privilege Escalation

Perhaps this is just an amateurish question, but what if I booted off of
a knoppix cd and replaced the current screensaver with my "specially
crafted" screensaver?  Or using the bootdisk at
http://home.eunet.no/~pnordahl/ntpasswd/ to edit the registry value?

I know you may think that this is useless, since if you boot off the cd
or disk, you already have better access to the machine, however doing
this method gets you admin access WITHOUT changing the password, correct?

Again, perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but wouldn't this work, and still
show that the vulnerability in the screensaver code is valid, and needs
to be updated?  It could allow someone to get local admin access to the
machine without changing the password.