From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: If Lycos can attack spammer sites, can we all start doing it?

Are we forgetting that there is no such thing as software product liability?

Look at the EULA for the Lycos screen saver.

Even without explicit language in the EULA, Lycos is just a software maker in this case. It is the end user who is guilty of an abusive attack -- if anyone is. The rate limit per client is set to prevent a single client from crossing the attack threshold, so this could be the first test of product liability for the intentional creation of zombie armies.

Microsoft, Symantec, and other vendors of products that auto-update have been in control of zombie armies for many years, with periodic DoS of the zombies, but as of yet no known external impact. Lycos is the first, and they are pioneering an odd precedent.

More proof that the nature of capitalism is that anything that can be done that might be profitable eventually will be done. This does not bode well for nanotechnology and genetic engineering.

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org