From: sharlow at UTNet.UToledo.Edu (Sean Harlow)
Subject: I'm calling for LycosEU heads and team to resign
 or be sacked

Micah McNelly wrote:
> many of their customers who don't
> even KNOW they  have someone generating spam from their network would
> unfortunately see a great deal of money lost.

Oh well.  Maybe they'll be more careful with who they let on their
network next time.  If you're not actively making sure that your
computer is not spamming me, then I really don't care about you.  For a
home user, this means using virus protection, firewalls, and keeping
everything up to date.  For ISPs, this means taking a closer look if one
of your customers, be it a business or a home user, is generating an
abnormally large amount of SMTP traffic.

> Why don't you go physically assault a spammer.

Gladly.  Unfortunately, tracking them down to a physical location so I
can physically bash their skulls in with a physical baseball bat is a
bit hard.

> Do you physically assault door-to-door solicitors or do you have a sign on your front porch.

I have a fence with a locked gate.  Only those who I want getting in can
do so, and if someone tried to jump the fence, then they are
trespassing, and my dog and weapons would come out.

On my network, I have a firewall, IDS, and spam filter.  That's the
fence.  Anyone who tries to get through the fence, either with brute
force (rapid-fire worm attacks) or sneakiness (?n1?rg? y??r p?n?s,
etc...) has now trespassed, when it was clear that I don't want them there.

I'm not saying I support the use of a DDoS attack against them, I'm just
saying that I'm not going to feel sorry if a few big-time spammers get a
hefty bandwidth bill at the end of the month.