From: peak at argo.troja.mff.cuni.cz (Pavel Kankovsky)
Subject: I'm calling for LycosEU heads and team to
 resign or be sacked

On Fri, 3 Dec 2004, n3td3v wrote:

> It is and never will be an acceptable and effective way to beat spam or
> any other misuse of the internet. [...]
> Spammers and hax0rs will not allow Lycos EU to build its bot network
> of screensavers, if and when the site comes back online again.

Why would they bother "not allow Lycos EU to..." if it was not an
effective way to harm their so-called business? They bothered ergo it
must have had the potential to harm them.

Of course it was pretty stupid to try to fight those bastards using a
system with a single point of failure (both in technical and legal
sense).

> The screensaver can't be allowed to be a socially acceptable way to
> solve any internet based problem.

Desperate situations demand desperate measures. The spammers are
*already* DDoSing us (*). And it gets worse every day. Retaliation might
be questionable from the ethical point of view but it is be one of the
last weapons left in our arsenal.

(*) For instance, one of our servers was joe-jobbed in June. The poor
machine was unable to handle the extra traffic (400-500 mails/hour) and
kept crashing until I blacklisted most of the zombies in a rather
brutal way (the blacklist consists of several /8 and tens of /16 blocks!).
It reduced the traffic to an acceptable level (tens/hour) but they still
have not given up. They've been joe-jobbing one machine for five months
without an interruption! You got to admire such persistence!

--Pavel Kankovsky aka Peak  [ Boycott Microsoft--http://www.vcnet.com/bms ]
"Resistance is futile. Open your source code and prepare for assimilation."