From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (bkfsec)
Subject: If Lycos can attack spammer sites, can we all
 start doing it?

Michael R. Schmidt wrote:

>Is putting a murderer in jail too much for you too?
>
>Cause that is the end justifying the means

Are you saying that a murderer going to jail justifies the murder?!?  Or
are you saying that the murderer being in jail justifies the
trial/investigation?  Or are you saying that a potentially dangerous
person being removed from society justifies his incarceration?

The first possibility is stupid.  The second possibility is dull.  And
the third possibility is obvious.

The problem here is that you have to drill down deeper into the issue.
Your statement, at face value, is entirely worthless.

I'm going to assume you mean the last case here and state that according
to any civilized society, the end your referring to doesn't justify all
means.

All western civilizations have standards for imprisonment and
prosecution that have to be met.  So, no, the end doesn't "justify the
means".  It justifies certain means, but not others.

And the means that it justifies it does so because society as a whole
has deemed that those means are necessary and acceptible.  Society has
not deemed that torture is acceptible, neither as an end nor a mean.
Period.

>A country has a right to protect its citizens
>
>>From internal as well as external forces

Really?  When did the civil war begin?  I must have missed it.

          -Barry