From: ju at heisec.de (Juergen Schmidt)
Subject: [Advisory] Mozilla Products Remote Crash
 Vulnerability

On Mon, 6 Dec 2004, Heikki Toivonen wrote:

> This crash was fixed today.

Great.

> This does not mean crashes will be ignored and will go unfixed. It just
> means that they do not receive the urgency that exploitable crashes and
> other vulnerabilities receive.

But this means, somebody (from mozilla) checked the urgency and decided,
that it can wait. It would have been nice and a minimal effort to inform
the initial reporter about that.

> As a security researcher, I would think it would be your responsibility
> to determine the seriousness of an issue. Just saying an app crashes
> does not make a security researcher IMO. Even my mom would be able to
> report a simple crash.

I do not see Niek claiming to be a security researcher. He stumbled
into something, that might be a security problem and wanted to make sure,
it is treated the right way. He first reported it to bugzilla and after
not getting a response, published the information he gathered.

What should he (or your mother) do, if mozilla is crashing on a
particular web site? Shut up? Learn how to write a buffer overflow
exploit before reporting it?

bye, ju

--
Juergen Schmidt       Chefredakteur  heise Security     www.heisec.de
Heise Zeitschriften Verlag,    Helstorferstr. 7,       D-30625 Hannover