From: robc at globalvc.co.uk (Rob Carmichael)
Subject: I'm calling for LycosEU heads and team to resign or be sacked

----- Original Message -----
From: dcdave@....net
To: Tatercrispies ; full-disclosure@...ts.netsys.com ; bill machen ; bill
machen
Cc: bill machen ; kat ; John Draper
Sent: Monday, December 06, 2004 9:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-Disclosure] I'm calling for LycosEU heads and team to
resign or be sacked

> two points should be mentioned in this discussion.
>
> 1) I have done several investigations of malicious code, intrusions, etc,
and discovered it is almost impossible to avoid   >"collateral damage".
Hackers and spammers working through someone else's machine are common. Does
retaliation >which does more damage to innocent people and may not even
touch the spammer justify the means?

>Of course, you could say that if that person is so unaware that he does not
have his security up, he is causing the problem, >but how will he know what
he's done if you block his communication channels?

Assuming that did happen then the victim would contact their supplier to
find out why their 'communication channel' isn't working. This has always
been the standard arrangement with dialup customers, why should corporate
ones be any different.

>I woud recommend a nice email detailing the real damage and spiritual
damage caused by spam, aned what they might do >to find a better way to make
a living.. Lots of spammers are simply trying to make a living, and don't
feel they have other >options.

They know the damage they do and don't care, it makes them alot of money.
There option is to go and get a real job which wouldn't make them the same
amount of money as abusing the Internet.
Do you honestly believe that the people that sent millions of spam messages
from thousands of machines (often illegally compromised machines) do not
understand what they are doing ? Please.

>2) Retaliation leads to retaliation. Not to get into politics,<SNIP>

The spammers that are eroding email and stealing our resources really boil
down to about 200 hundred people (see
http://www.spamhaus.org/rokso/index.lasso), they are not a 'country' or a
'people' just a bunch of unethical people. They will retaliate as long as
making money from it, if they lose all money from it will they start to
plough in their personal fortune to continue the fight ? And if they do how
long do think that is sustainable ? If they stop making money from it they
will have to do something else, This is all about money.

regards,
Rob