From: iago at valhallalegends.com (Ron)
Subject: A suggestion to all AV vendors...

Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu wrote:

>On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 11:24:54 CST, Ron said:
>

>>There needs to be a good, opensource anti-virus solution where they
>>aren't worried about their bottom line.  The problem is the amount of
>>maintenance it takes to keep a virus scanner up-to-date makes it hard
>>for somebody to do it for free.
>>

>Well, as a *transitory* thing, such a beast might be useful.  And many
>people sing the praises of ClamAV...
>
>It's still applying band-aids to a hemophiliac rather than supplying
>them with clotting factor.  The only *sustainable* long-term solution is
>to use software that was designed with a sane security model, so there's
>no *need* for a separate A/V product.
>
>If you actually use a sane security model, not only do you vastly reduce the
>need for an A/V solution, but you also minimize the spyware and trojan issue.

I agree.  If everybody used a real OS, and if people picked their OS
based on which was _better_, rather than based on what they're used to,
them maybe life would be good.  But for now, every average person is
going to use Windows because it's "easier" (har!), and be forced to put
up with the weak security model, and to buy all the accessories to deal
with viruses, spyware, etc.