From: jftucker at gmail.com (James Tucker)
Subject: HOW TO BREAK XP SP2 POPUP BLOCKER: kick it in
	the nut !

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 15:40:32 -0500, James Patterson Wicks
<pwicks@...gen.com> wrote:
> This is what one of our developers came up with:
>
> "I could only find one bypass that uses the DHTML Edit Control ActiveX
> control (clsid:2D360201-FFF5-11d1-8D03-00A0C959BC0A) installed with the
> IE.
>
> An example of this is http://www.malware.com/flopup.html
>
> This still showed a popup even when I said block all popups. It
> basically uses this ActiveX control to execute a javascript as follows:
> x.DOM.Script.execScript(shellscript.toString());
> x.DOM.Script.setTimeout("shellscript()");
>
> You could either disable this control (which I don't know if there are
> programs that depend on it). You could also disallow ActiveX controls
> which would break Sharepoint among other things."

Sharepoint portals do actually (mostly) work in Firefox anyway, and
theres no ActiveX there. What doesn't work is the integration system.

It could be argued that such controls should be disabled for all and
explicitly allowed for sites such as portals.

I haven't had a look at the specifics but it appears as if this is an
ActiveX control that is loaded native to the browser (rather than as
an extension), is that correct? If so then surely disabling ActiveX
isn't actually going to stop it?

Given what is claimed by the mail at the start of the thread "We only
deal in the high settings here !" would suggest that ActiveX should
have already been disabled (the default on XPSP2 IIRC).