From: martin.pitt at canonical.com (Martin Pitt)
Subject: [USN-45-1] nasm vulnerability

Hi Todd!

Todd Towles [2004-12-22 14:26 -0600]:
> So now, I just need to trick a user into running a malicious source file
> that I assembed and sent him, this makes it much harder.

Although I understand the irony in this, I still think that this is an
important issue. Running unknown programs _is_ a different thing than
merely compiling/assembling something. For example, Debian's and
Ubuntu's autobuilders compile and assemble code all the day, but the
compiled code is not actually ran there.

The key difference is just that by _running_ a program I expect it to
do something, whereas when I _assemble_ a source file, I do not expect
it to have any side effects (no system modification apart from writing
the output file.

Martin

--
Martin Pitt                       http://www.piware.de