From: uberguidoz at gmail.com (GuidoZ)
Subject: List of worm and trojan files

> Assuming the attacker is competent, the only way to "clean" a deeply
> compromised machine is to reformat the drive and start from scratch.
> The truly paranoid will question whether just formatting the drive is
> sufficient.

This isn't necessarily the case. While it will get the system up and
going again (and clean for the moment), if you don't do any root cause
analysis, then the problem will likely just return. You need to do
some investigating and figure out WHAT the problem is and HOW it got
there. Otherwise you haven't fixed anything.

This goes for any incident. Spyware/Adware/virus/trojan/worm or your
fav malware... they all have to get onto the system somehow. Without
knowing how and just reformatting, how have you fixed the actual issue
at hand?

One of the definitions of insanity: "Doing the same thing and
expecting a different result". Therefore, it's certifiably insane to
reload the system (to the previous state) and expect it to not be
reinfected. =)

--
Peace. ~G