From: precarious_panther at bigpond.com (Adam)
Subject: RE: Yahoo Email Policy "Debate"

Some important issues I think that a lot of people are overlooking in
this case is that not everything that a person "owns" can be considered
estate to be passed on to their next of kin, especially in the case of
emails, letters, and other mediums of communication. One of the key
differences between standard estate (for example, my computer :P), and
communication is that the ownership of my computer is clear-cut, there
are few (if any) other legalitys regarding its ownership - where as
emails and letters are not "your property" just because they have been
sent to you, both morally and legally.

For example, if I send an email to somebody close to me that outlines
personal material which I would consider "for their eyes only" - if that
someone happened to pass away I (and I am sure most people in the same
position) would not like that information to be given out to whoever
their family/next of kin was - even if they were trustworthy I simply do
not know them.

As for legally, many documents/emails are marked "for the recipient
listed only" as they contain information that only that person - NOT
their next of kin or anybody else - is meant to see.  For example, an
employee may be handling client information for the company they work
for through email (whether it be a personal or company email address).
My mother is a counsellor and does a lot of online email correspondence
with her customers. If god-forbid she passed away, do I have the right
to know the mental issues of her patients (people who I may also know)
just because she passed away? The point to this is that with property
estate such as bank accounts, computers, pet fish, etc, the only person
who would be affected by the transfer of the estate is deceased - and
most likely wouldnt mind. HOWEVER, correspondence is most often the
"property" by more than one person and a transfer of estate of such
would breach the rights of others in most cases.
I realise that in the currently publicised issue the soldier(?) most
likely didn't have anything other than personal letters in his account -
but unless he was writing all of them to himself the are other issues
legally and morally surrounding a transfer of ownership.

I do realise that the family of the deceased wishes to read whatever
words he has written - and I would feel the same were I in their
position. That doesn't however mean that it should happen.

This discussion isn't really they type of material that is supposed to
be being posted in Full Disclosure, so sorry to anybody this response
has annoyed :P

Just an opinion.
-Panther