From: randallm at fidmail.com (RandallM)
Subject: Microsoft AntiSpyware: Will it be free and
	Vulnerable

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005, James Patterson Wicks wrote:
> While this was just a quick test to satisfy my curiosity about the
> Microsoft tool, my initial feeling is that the Microsoft AntiSpyware is
> worth a test deployment in the office.  This beta expires in July.
> Hopefully the final version will be free and allow for centralized
> domain management.  It's the least that Microsoft can do.

I don't think it's going to be free. While doing a small amount of research
on the "spyware community" I found this text string in the
GianttAntiSpywareUpdater.exe:

"Because your Microsoft AntiSpyware subscription has expired, needed spyware
definitions could NOT be downloaded and installed. Your definitions should
be updated as soon as possible to prevent spyware infections. Your Microsoft
AntiSpyware Subscription has Expired"

And within the gcASNotice.exe

"We hope your trial went well. Unfortunately you are now no longer protected
from the growing dangers of spyware, worms and trojans. Continue to keep
your self protected, purchase the full version today with a full money back
guarantee."

I also have been a bit curious concerning the "user community" and the way
this type of software updates, whether or not they can be exploited this
way.

Now I would like to RANT a bit here. After picking myself up off the floor
from reading this I chose to post this. The primary reason most spyware and
trojans get unauthorized access to "my" computer is because of my blind
trust in the products I use. One such product was a browser embedded in the
operating system I own. To rid myself of such unauthorized accesses I had to
educate myself and find software to do it. Most of them are freely developed
(God Bless Them Each and Everyone). Alone comes a program to do this own by
the operating system and products I use. I was happy and thought, "who would
be better equipped to do such then the owners themselves. After all they
wrote and know all the programming of it. The can surely protect it.
According to the above txt scans of this product I have to pay them to
defend what they allowed. Its a strange strange world after all.

I don't want to sound condescending but, if this is the case, this Company
software needs some humility lessons brought to them through heavy
exploitations of such software. On the other hand if such Company would
provide this as a service to me then they need a community helping hand.

thank you
Randall M