From: barrie at reboot-robot.net (Barrie Dempster)
Subject: Using Google Desktop Search for remote
	system monitoring

On Sat, 2005-01-08 at 17:51 -0500, Abe Usher wrote:
<snip>
> If you are interested in trying "desktop" search remotely, check out my
> write up at:
> http://www.sharp-ideas.net/

That isn't entirely remote from what I can see. You need to know the
salt value before you can find the page, you'd have to gain that value
locally each time in order to access the page remotely. Unless you find
out where it's stored and pipe that over the connection.

You could however code a small program to run on the google desktop
machine which both monitors the google desktop and opens a socket for
remote use, As it stands the  method you use isn't entirely useful other
than showing that you can redirect a loopback port to a network
accessible port which I'm sure we are all aware off.

Are you going to take this further or was it like you said just for
fun ?

With Regards..
Barrie Dempster (zeedo) - Fortiter et Strenue

  http://www.bsrf.org.uk

[ gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.keyserver.net 0x96025FD0 ]