From: skylined at edup.tudelft.nl (Berend-Jan Wever)
Subject: Re: Internet Explorer URL obfuscation.

Migitating factors:
- You can only show a page you do not control as coming from a location you control, might as well use frames for that.
- Links on the targetted site still work as normal.
- Doesn't seem to allow cross-site scripting, which would make it a vulnerability.
- An alert window might attract more attention then you'd want: IE seems to forget to update the address-bar as soon as any other window is opened at the same time, be it a javascript error message, an alert(), a confirm() or a showModalDialog()... The cool thing about ModalDialogs is that you can close them automatically:
    <script language="Javascript">
        function page_load(){
            document.location.href='http://www.google.com';
            window.showModalDialog('javascript:setTimeout("window.close()", 10);');
        }
    </script>
        <form>
            <input type="submit" value="Update" name="patch_update" onClick="page_load()">
        </form>
Above code should do the same as Graeme Stewart's origional code but the window needed to obfuscate the URL is closed as soon as the targetted site is opened... use showModalDialog()-parameters to make this even more stealhy.

Anyway, doesn't look like a big problem so far, but it might prove to have more potential: I did manage to crash IE with a NULL pointer once or twice while testing, unfortunately I wasn't able to reproduce that :(

Cheers,

Berend-Jan Wever <skylined@...p.tudelft.nl>
TTP: http://www.edup.tudelft.nl/~bjwever
MSN: skylined@...p.tudelft.nl