From: builder173 at hotmail.com (Bob the Builder)
Subject: Re:  Terminal Server vulnerabilities

Are any of the vulnerabilities in this google search even vaguely current?
They all seem to be at least a couple of years old, I don't recall anything
recent, posting NT 4 and pre Win2k SP3 issues is hardly contradicts the MS
statement that there are no current issues.  The main security issue with
Terminal Services that I see its susceptability to brute force password
attacks. If you are really really paranoid about running Terminal Services
then tunnel it over either SSH or IPSec. I would point out that there have
been root compromises in SSH fairly recently too!

Also, as a usability asside make sure you set session time outs or you risk
finding yourself accidentally locked out of the box if you have too many
dodgey disconnected sessions. I usually set active:1day, inactive:1hr,
disconnected:10mins. That way if the box is monkeying about or people leave
sessions open you can still get in - useful if the box is too far away to go
to the console.

Cheers,

Bob