From: dbounds at intrusense.com (Darren Bounds)
Subject: ICMP Covert channels question

In most cases 10/8, 192.168/16 and 172.16/12 are not routable across
the Internet, although there are some exceptions.

However, if your packet does manage to reach it the destination
network, traverse the firewall and hit it's target, you can be
reasonably certain that the response, be it a TCP SYN-ACK,  an ICMP
unreachable of some sort or just an ICMP echo reply, it will quite
happily find it's way to the internal host whom you spoofed for review.

Thanks,

Darren Bounds
Intrusense LLC.

--