From: psmelson at comcast.net (Paul Melson)
Subject: Re: Cain and Abel

Under a default or "dumb" switched environment, both the switch and the
victim hosts will digest the phony ARP broadcasts sent by tools like Cain or
Ettercap.  Static ARP entries on a server should be enough to prevent
session hijacking, but in order to stop eavesdropping, both victims need
static ARP entries.  Of course, if you're finding that your static ARP
entries are being overwritten by the phony broadcasts, that's something your
vendor needs to know about.

A more manageable defense against ARP poisoning attacks is to configure your
switches to prevent against MAC address spoofing.  Cisco switches, for
example, can statically map the MAC address of the interface connected to a
given port (good for servers), as well as limit the number of MAC addresses
that can appear on a given port (good for workstations, conference rooms,
hotel rooms, etc.).  More info specific to Cisco switches here:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps4324/products_configuratio
n_guide_chapter09186a0080379add.html

PaulM

PS - You may find that certain clustering/HA products will use multiple MAC
addresses and thus give you headaches in conjunction with Cisco port
security configurations.

________________________________

Subject: [Full-Disclosure] Re: Cain and Abel

Hi, I have been reading this list for some time now. Haven't contributed
much because I am still learning but recently stumbled into a security issue
that bothered me. A friend of mine showed me Cain and Abel, after giving it
a few runs on my network the results were scary. I have been trying to find
a decent solution on how to prevent the main in the middle attack with it
however I wasn't able to come up with a good working solution. I have tried
to set up static arp mappings on my system however the new ones overwrote
the old ones. Also I am not sure but does it also screw with switch's arp
tables or just the client ones? Any feedback would be nice