From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (bkfsec)
Subject: Software Licenses and compression (was: Multiple
 AV Vendors ignoring tar.gz archives)

James Eaton-Lee wrote:

>Add to this the fact that implementing archive support in an antivirus
>package isn't as simple as it might seem; although bz2 is released under
>a BSD license, gzip isn't - it's GPL, and therefore any antivirus vendor
>would have to write their gzip code totally from scratch.

Now this is a non-sequitor.  It's a non-sequitor for two reasons: 1)
It's irrelivent and 2) It's wrong.

First, it's irrelivent because if this is a percieved weakness of an
antivirus package (and I can see how someone can see it as undesirable
under certain conditions, though not all conditions) then its
implementation isn't the concern of the reporter.  We know that it can
be done and, if it's of high enough value, it should be done --
irregardless of whether they get the code from a third party or write it
themselves.

Second, it's wrong for a couple of reasons.  Yes, they would not be able
to take GNU gzip and implant the code into a proprietary application.
However, that does not bar them from utilizing and distributing GNU Gzip
with their application.  If they were to wish to use GNU Gzip, there are
ways that they could engineer that into their product without causing
licensing issues.  They could simply use gzip/tar to gunzip/untar the
package as a stream and pass that into their preprocessor for analysis
in their sandbox.  That would require no cross-polination of the
licenses and would leave the third party software intact.  These kinds
of arrangements are actually quite frequent in the world of software design.

Further, it's not like the gzip compression algorithm of some kind of
guarded secret proprietary protocol.  It's a standard protocol and there
are a number of proprietary implementations that could be licensed for
use in proprietary programs.

In either case, including third-party software into a security product
can be a gambit and, as such, that code has to be heavily audited in
order to be included into the software suite.  Or, at least, it should
be heavily audited.  Anyway, they wouldn't be able to just take bzip2
and place it directly into the source of the AV system either.
Interfaces have to be crafted and tested, in order to be consistent.
You also have to take into account differences in the programming
environment for the AV/Compression scheme and optimizational concerns.

In the end, your point in trying to differentiate the GNU GPL from the
BSD license here is completely and totally moot.  It does nothing but
predicate misunderstandings concerning the GNU GPL and further cloud
this potential security issue.

                -Barry