From: smp.repicky at gmail.com (Matt)
Subject: Things that make you go "Hmmm"

In a good company Incidence Response isn't dictated by any of what you
said above.  It's dictated by policy.  Because if you stand around too
long gathering all the information, be it usable or not, you're doing
2 things.

1.  You're wasting time.

2.  You're possibly prejudicing yourself to one side or another.

You don't make assumptions, you don't find out if the government is
interested in prosecuting based off any information you can acquire,
cause i assure you, they won't be unless you've lost hundreds of
thousands of dollars.  And you absolutely never, ever have a suspect
in mind when you start examining a machine.  Which usually leads my
bad to my first statement, Dictated by policy.  Usually in order to
have someone without prejudice examine a machine, an outsider or
someone without knowledge of the event will be brought in and not told
anything other than the box is suspect.  They will then examine the
box, look for any traces of wrongdoing on the box, record it carefully
and present you with the findings.  If in their search they can find
some trail that leads them to an individual, be it a real name or an
alias, they will then make their judgement as to if that person is
then a suspect.

That is the way proper forensics is carried out.

And this all brings me back to my original message.....

>they're still just that stupid
Cause anyone who leaves a box connected to the internet that doesn't
need to be deserves to have it hacked.  Especially if they're not
firewalling it off carefully.  Just cause the Internet is out there
doesn't mean you've got to be a part of it with your lame box.