From: devis at easynix.net (devis)
Subject: Bios programming...

Matt Marooney wrote:
> Very true, and I'm sure that I am not going to be able to keep people
> from getting around it, I just want to make it really really hard.
> Obviously, if the person is smart enough to boot to a different OS,
> setup their internet connection on that OS, and browse, then they are
> not going to be using this product in the first place!
>
> I want this software to help people who want help, to keep them honest,
> and unaware that their system is monitoring activity.

Am i the only one to have a problem with that sentence ?

> Most of the other services out there are very "in-your-face" or they
> only monitor one type of traffic.  The BIOS requirement was to keep the
> users using the system.  If they take the machine in to BestBuy to get
> it serviced, and the tech wipes or replaces the hard drive, the poor guy
> doesn't remember to reload the monitoring software.
>
> I'm open to other suggestions, I just want to make it next to impossible
> to delete (without the admin password, of course), and invisble to
> operate.
>
> Thanks for the comments!
>
> -- Matt

As several others have put it already, this is pure evil. I just don't
believe in the "good cause" you're mentionning. Who in the world would
desire such programs features on his own machine, despite his/her
'terrible addiction' ?
This is big brother in action, with full security by obscurity, with
noway to proove if your cause is indeed genuine. Monitoring people
without their consent is just evil. Beside, i believe 'knowing' of the
monitoring will be even more efficient, so make a inoffensive program,
and tell the 'addicted' they are being monitored.
I just don't see the point for making such software ( with such features
anyhow ) other than missuse of the harvested information.

-d.