From: pauls at utdallas.edu (Paul Schmehl)
Subject: Reverse dns

--On Thursday, March 10, 2005 05:30:54 PM +0100 Vincent Archer
<var@...y-all.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:57:57AM -0600, Paul Schmehl wrote:
>> Is there an RFC *requirement* for reverse dns?
>
> The only one I can think of is RFC 1033... 1987 is not exactly current,
> but so far, it's not been superseded or obsoleted.
>
> (the section is in "INSTRUCTIONS", "Adding a host" & "Adding Gateways")

Thanks.

Adding a host.

      To add a new host to your zone files:

         Edit the appropriate zone file for the domain the host is in.

         Add an entry for each address of the host.

         Optionally add CNAME, HINFO, WKS, and MX records.

         Add the reverse IN-ADDR entry for each host address in the
         appropriate zone files for each network the host in on.

This seems pretty definitive to me.  The instructions for adding a host
clearly state "Add the reverse".  IOW, I think you could safely argue that
*not* reversing hosts should be the *exception*, not the *norm*.

Paul Schmehl (pauls@...allas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member