From: rsumida at csulb.edu (Ryan Sumida)
Subject: Wi-fi. Approaching customers

I am no Wi-Fi expert by any means but I will try to convey what they told
me in layman terms.  Their product uses passive sensors that basically
just listen for any kind of WiFi traffic.  Using the signal strength,
attenuation, and some other attributes, their algorithm creates an RF
fingerprint for the location of a device.  So as an example, if you are
standing at your desk the RF fingerprint would look like this.

RF fingerprint for Device 1
Sensor1 #################
Sensor2 ######
Sensor3 ##########
Sensor4 ############################

As you physically move the device around the RF fingerprint changes.
That's basically what they did to setup the device in our office.  Once
the room is calibrated, you can define the actions for each virtual zone
through their management software.

Hope that helps some,

Ryan

"KF (Lists)" <kf_lists@...italmunition.com> wrote on 03/15/2005 04:35:27
PM:

> hrmm... is that based on signal strength or something?
> -KF
>
> Ryan Sumida wrote:
> >
> > As a side note..
> >
> > Newbury Networks has a product called WiFi Watchdog that can
allow/deny
> > access based on physical location.  As an example, it can be
configured
> > where anyone outside the building walls can not connect to the network

> > but once they move inside the building they are allowed access. Sounds

> > like black magic but it works (a rep came down and showed us a demo
> > yesterday) and can help manage who gets on an open WiFi network like
> > Matthew's.
> >
> > Ryan Sumida
> > Network Services, CSU Long Beach
> >

> > full-disclosure-bounces@...ts.grok.org.uk wrote on 03/15/2005 01:27:43