Date: Tue Mar 29 00:31:03 2005
From: rarmstrong at iss.net (Armstrong, Richard (ISS Texas))
Subject: [security] Mozilla Foundation GIF Overflow

Good point Steven so I got the answer for you.

We added support for RFC 2397 in our January 2005 update.  XPU
23.2/1.39.  The readme included this text:

"Added support for parsing images transferred using RFC 2397 encoding"

=-=-=-

An advisory released by Secunia yesterday references a potential malware
detection bypass issue.  If a customer asks whether ISS products are
affected or how we are addressing the issue, please provide them with
the following information:

ISS has evaluated information regarding the image transfer vector
associated with RFC2397.  This RFC contains a standard for embedding
pictures within an HTML file.  Internet Explorer does not support this
standard and will not attempt to render such an image, thus IE will not
enable exploitation via an imbedded malicious image file.  Although
Internet Explorer does not support this RFC, thus lowering the risk of
associated protection bypass, it has been adopted by other browser
software.  Because of this, ISS will be adding support for RFC2397 in
the upcoming XPU due to release the first of next week.
=-=-=-

Hope this helps.

Richard Armstrong