Date: Tue Mar 29 18:02:07 2005
From: Kyle.Quest at networkengines.com (Kyle Quest)
Subject: Reverse engineering the Windows TCP stack

It seems that there's some bsd code reused in microsoft
network utilities and their socket API implementation
(a number of previous emails demonstrated that). However,
the TCP/IP stack itself(tcpip.sys, ipsec.sys, etc)
is a totally different beast. There are a lot of architectural
differences between MS and BSD TCP/IP stacks. At most MS
reused some of the high level concepts and algorithms
with possible tiny bits and pieces of BSD support
routines (e.g., checksums, hashing,). This is why
Windows (2k or XP) doesn't behave exactly the same as BSD.
I base my statements on prior work I've done with NetBSD,
FreeBSD, OpenBSD, Linux, and Windows TCP/IP stacks.
I had to partially RE the stack windows has. Fortunately,
the source code for other stacks was available,
which made things much easier.

Kyle