Date: Fri Apr  8 21:40:46 2005
From: jasonc at science.org (Jason Coombs)
Subject: How to Report a Security Vulnerability
	toMicrosoft

Georgi Guninski wrote:
> basically they want your 0days
> so billg becomes more rich.

Aloha, Georgi.

If only it were a simple business motive, everyone could dismiss it as such.

The real motive is more sinister.

Microsoft wants to perpetuate the misperception that secrecy makes people safer.

You and I and much of FD know this is not true, and anyone who has been in business for any length of time knows that if we could only disclose our secrets without having our lives destroyed as a result, we could prove beyond any doubt that business is the most harmful force of destruction that exists today.

We all go on with our daily lives believing that our neighbor won't harm themselves by disclosing their secrets, so we don't disclose ours. It is a perpetual stalemate.

Business depends on secrets for viability.

Without business, governments collapse and the World enters War Version 3.

Coincidence that Microsoft gets everything right on the third try?

Microsoft is attempting nothing short of social engineering to spread the worldwide belief that business stability equals safety for all.

Microsoft has grown influential enough that they now care deeply about world stability. They depend on it for profit growth, in fact.

The fact is, a world war is far more likely when secrets become compulsory. When good people become afraid to speak the truth, war is guaranteed.

Microsoft won't believe this until it is too late. Therefore, good people must stand up now and speak the truth.

MICROSOFT: STOP THE WAR! NO MORE SECRETS!

Regards, and best wishes,

Jason Coombs
jasonc@...ence.org