Date: Mon Apr 11 01:43:07 2005
From: randallm at fidmail.com (Randall M)
Subject: RE: [NT] Microsoft Multiple E-Mail Client Address
	Spoofing Vulnerability

As a security professional working for a Corporate Office the "Multiple
E-Mail Client Address Vulnerability" (please see original advisory attached
below) caused me no small concern. The vulnerability described was tested on
Outlook 2003 and Exchange 2003 as far as I could tell. We deploy Outlook 97,
2000, 2003 on an Exchange 2000 server. The "social engineering" possibility
concerned me therefore I attempted to produce this vulnerability using
Outlook 2003 on an outside POP3 account and on a corporate Outlook 2003
client through an Exchange 2000 server sending both from and to through
both.

Overall finding: No spoofing is of concern with POP3 account or Exchange
2000 using Outlook 2003 since "reply" or "reply to all" will only go to the
spoof address (used for social engineering) and not the default sender
address (the one attempting to use social engineering). Thus social
engineering attempts will not work.

Application: Outlook 2003 client
Account type: POP3

Sent mail to POP3 account address.

1. On POP3 only "one" email in the "From" field is allowed. Thus only able
to put a spoof address in. Original is default.
Once arriving the view set to show headers shows only the "spoof". Once POP3
email arrives and is opened it displays original with a "on behalf of" spoof
sender in "bold".

Sent mail to corporate address.

2. Using a POP3 account and entering a legitimate address of a corporate
management team and sending to an employee at the corporate office (social
engineering attempt) address shows the manager spoofed address in the view
but still shows it as a "on behalf of" (in bold) if mail is opened or
replied to. Same as sending to POP3 account.

Side notes:
	a. If employee has managers email go to separate folder using rules,
the spoofed email will not follow that rule.
	b. If employee has view pane open the "From" address appears with
original and the "on behalf of" which would be suspicious.

Application: Exchange 2000 OWA
1. Could not manipulate the "From" field.

Application: Outlook 2003 client
Account type: Corporate Exchange 2000 server
Tested sending spoofed manager in the "From" field to another corporate
account.

Sent mail to another corporate employee:

1. Using spoofed manager address in "From" field. Mail arrived showing only
the spoofed manager address (no default address) with header view. If mail
is opened the "From" field still showed only the manager address. A "reply"
or "reply to all" would only reply to spoof address of manager which is
legit and thus he alone would receive.
2. I could not send email with more then one address in the "from" field no
mater what combination of commas.

Sent mail to outside POP3 account:

1. Mail arrives showing only the spoofed manager address (used for social
engineering attempts). A reply though would only go to spoofed manager
address which is legit.

I was only concerned with Exchange 2000 and Outlook 97, 2000, 2003 since
this is what our company uses. I could not test on Exchange 2003. Though I
found that "spoofing" was available and that it showed in the header view,
the concern of the author of the below advisory...
____________
 "Consider the following example: A corporate SMTP server is configured to
drop all mail received from the external network claiming to be from an
internal address. By exploiting this issue, an attacker can bypass the
imposed restrictions and transmit a message that appears to come from an
internal user. This attack, combined with social engineering, could
potentially lead to further compromise."
__________

...is no concern with Exchange 2000 using corporate and POP3 2000, 2003
clients. The default sender and only one spoofing address could be used and
that using reply or reply to all would only go to the "spoofed" address
which would pose no threat since this is used for the social engineering
attempt and that a reply would then go to that address only and not the
default sender.

I attempted to use comma-separated variables on both the POP3 and corporate
clients(Outlook 2003) but could not duplicate what the advisory stated. My
clients would only allow one address to show in the "From" field.

If you can find fault with my findings I would be most grateful. If my
explanations above are confusing feel free to ask
me to clarify since my mind often runs faster then my fingers. Flaming is
helpful since my concern is to prevent this.

thank you
Randall M

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation
gone under."
- Ronald Reagan