Date: Wed Apr 13 18:01:36 2005
From: bkfsec at sdf.lonestar.org (bkfsec)
Subject: How to Report a Security Vulnerability to
	Microsoft

Steve Friedl wrote:

>On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:54:34AM -0400, bkfsec wrote:
>

>>It doesn't matter how much honey is poured into people's ears (or smoke
>>blown up their asses, if you will), it's the proof that's in the pudding
>>that counts, and the pudding is sour.
>>

>Even if you decide, for the sake of discussion, that Microsoft sucks,
>there is still a good reason to work with MSFT on disclosure: the users.

I agree with you.  I wasn't implying that people shouldn't work with
MSFT on disclosures, rather that their attitude had not changed nearly
as much as some people seem to think it has.

There's also a big difference between should and must.  Security
researchers should work with vendors to get solutions out responsibly,
including Microsoft, but they should not be restricted from publishing
their findings if a vendor just wants to sweep things under a rug.

             -Barry