Date: Wed Apr 27 19:58:48 2005
From: michael.holstein at csuohio.edu (Michael Holstein)
Subject: Maybe not a disclosure but request for
	information.

Full Disclosure : My SAN's broken .. lol .. if only every company in the
world were so honest about their downtime.

It sounds like you're having a problem with redundant FC paths (when you
setup a SAN with 2 cards per host, 2 switches, 2 controllers in the disk
array, etc).

When I worked with IBM's SAN gear at a former employer (we also used
Qlogic cards) there was a "ESS path manager" software (exact name
escapes me) that we had to download off IBM's website. It was a device
driver that handled masking of the inactive path (to avoid seeing twice
the drives due to diverse paths).

We got it working on Windows and Solais but never on Linux.

I should point out though that the qla[22|23|63]xx linux driver supports
path diversity natively via the config file. However if you're booting
off the FC drives (which, btw, isn't reccomended by IBM) the BIOS on the
Qlogic card takes impossibly long (5-10min) while it tries to talk to
the inactive path LUNs.

This might help you to make a working qla2300.conf in linux for IBM's
FASsT :

http://dag.wieers.com/home-made/qla-autoconf/

Cheers,

Michael Holstein CISSP GCIA