Date: Mon May  2 17:46:14 2005
From: ge at linuxbox.org (Gadi Evron)
Subject: The Tel Aviv University Security Forum - meeting
	#11	- 8/5/05

Hello!

The next, non-commercial, technological Security Forum will take place
on Sunday, the 8th of May, 2005, at Tel Aviv University's Lev
Auditorium.

Schedule
--------
17:45 - Gathering - hot and cold drinks will be served.

18:00 - Yaniv Shaked.
  Lecture: Cracking the Bluetooth PIN.
  Level: High.

  This paper/lecture describes the implementation of an attack on the
  Bluetooth security mechanism. Specifically, we describe a passive
  attack, in which an attacker can find the PIN used during the pairing
  process. We then describe the cracking speed we can achieve through
  three optimizations methods. Our fastest optimization employs an
  algebraic representation of a central cryptographic primitive (SAFER+)
  used in Bluetooth. Our results show that a 4-digit PIN can be cracked
  in less than 0.3 seconds on an old Pentium III 450MHz computer, and in
  0.06 seconds on a Pentium IV 3Ghz HT computer.

  In addition, We present another attack that is effective when used in
  conjunction with the first attack. This attack causes devices
  communicating to repeat the pairing process.

19:00 - We will break for a short recess, as well as for
  refreshments and networking between members - hot and cold
  drinks will be served.

19:20 - Gadi Evron.
  Lecture: Botnets and drone armies.
  Level: Dependant on the audience.

  In this lecture we will introduce the subject of botnets (drone
  armies). Thousands and millions of compromised machines, gathered into
  a centralized force for directed malicious activity.

  We will go into any relevant material ranging from detection to
  construction depending on audience interest during the lecture.

Hot and cold drinks will be freely available.

Attendance is free.

For a map of the university please visit:
http://www2.tau.ac.il/map/unimapl1.asp

For future and past lectures, presentations and general information:
http://www.cs.tau.ac.il/tausec

You can also visit our Orkut community (Tausec):
http://www.orkut.com/Community.aspx?cmm=422590

Thank you all, and please pass this information to others.

Have a good week,

	Gadi.