Date: Wed May  4 17:37:04 2005
From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu (Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu)
Subject: The best hacker ever !

On Wed, 04 May 2005 12:39:14 +1000, "cozadc/Cozad, Chris" said:
> Just out of curiosity....
>
> Why do all your messages come through as a text attachment?

The short version:  Because you're using:

The long version: Because they're PGP-signed as per RFC3156, and some vendors
don't understand how to deal with multipart/signed mail correctly, and decide
that the main text/plain is an attachment rather than a main bodypart (and the
last time I tested, even providing an explicit "Content-Disposition: inline"
didn't help any). What your MUA *should* be doing if it follows the standards
is say "this is a signed mail, but I don't understand the signature format".
(And incidentally, the main offenders for this should be *doubly* embarrassed,
because they *do* in fact understand multipart/signed, so it isn't even a
broken dropback to multipart/mixed - they get stupid when they don't understand
the signature type).

Complain to your vendor, or use a standards-compliant mail package.  I'm told
that even Mutt and Pine manage to get it right.