Date: Thu May  5 13:45:02 2005
From: nick at virus-l.demon.co.uk (Nick FitzGerald)
Subject: Paypal Phishing Again

Jeremy Heslop wrote:

<<snip>>
> :) Like some others have pointed out on this list (or Bugtraq) they are
> priming the pump so to speak by sending out alot of legit looking Paypal
> emails so that people get used to them coming. Then they will start
> sending more emails with redirected/phished links contained instead of
> the real ones.  Just my "not worth much" 2 cents.

Huh???

You didn't look too closely at that one did you?

When rendered in an HTML-capable MUA, the message has a link or button
that looks as if it takes you to the (once) "legitimate" Paypal login
page at:

   https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_update

In reality, clicking that link led to a now long-closed page (this
particular phish was spammed nearly three weeks ago) hosted at
netfirms.com via a triple redirection (Yahoo! to Google to Yahoo! to
netfirms) cleverly constructed with HTML form submission logic so that
the full URL is not actually present in one piece in the HTML code.
(It also uses some further obfuscation of parts of the URL by inserting
entity-encoded HTML white-space characters.)

So, your take that this was a "non-malicious" phishing precursor is
quite wrong.

--
Nick FitzGerald
Computer Virus Consulting Ltd.