Date: Thu May 19 02:39:58 2005
From: austinsr at uindy.edu (Shawn Austin)
Subject: A new phishing fraud

Mcafee catches VBS/Soraci when the page is loading.
Writeup of virus from http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_101049.htm

*Virus Characteristics:
<javascript:legendwindow('/vil/legend.htm#Charactieristics');>*

This is a file infecting VBScript virus that infects files with
extension HTT, HTM, and HTML. When run, the virus will create or modify
the following registry keys to change the Internet Explorer start page:

    * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      "Default_Page_URL" = http://www./(address neutered)/
      .com/hedda_marie_tolentino/index.htm
    * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main "Local
      Page" = http://www./(address neutered)/
      .com/hedda_marie_tolentino/index.htm
    * HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main "Start
      Page" = http://www./(address neutered)/
      .com/hedda_marie_tolentino/index.htm
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      "Default_Page_URL" = http://www./(address neutered)/
      .com/hedda_marie_tolentino/index.htm
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      "Local Page" = http://www./(address neutered)/
      .com/hedda_marie_tolentino/index.htm
    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
      "Start Page" = http://www./(address neutered)/
      .com/hedda_marie_tolentino/index.htm

The virus creates the following files:

    *  %SysDir%\icarOs.dll (2,824 bytes)
    *  %SysDir%\icarOs2.dll (3,748 bytes)
    *  %SysDir%\scanregw.vbe (3,718 bytes)

/(Where %SysDir% is the Windows System directory on the system, for
example c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.) /

A registry entry is also created to run the virus on Windows startup:

    * HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\
      CurrentVersion\Run "ScanRegistry " = %SysDir%\scanregw.vbe

This virus has a malicious payload to restart Windows continuously if
the date is September 26.