Date: Fri May 20 16:24:58 2005
From: Bart.Lansing at kohls.com (Bart.Lansing@...ls.com)
Subject: Security benefits of spliting services
	betweentwo ISP providers

Two providers, absolutely...but that's only part of the story.  If you
want to approach the level of business continuity (because this is not at
all about security...this about redundancy and availability) you also need
to ensure dual entry points into your building from seperate trunks
(coming from different streets, etc) for your fiber or copper.  Also you
probably want to consider SONET so that you have diverse routing as well.
Otherwise one backhoe still gets you, no matter how many carriers you
have.  Using multiples is fine, using them together makes more sense than
just having duplicate capacity lying around doing nothing, however.

The way to look at it is pretty simple:  What's the liklihood of a carrier
outage?  What's the anticipated duration?  Can I run with somewhat
degraded performance while the outage is being rectified?  What is my
normal acceptable % utilization?

Once you have those answers you know how much "spare" bandwidth you need,
and you can split the total between your two (three, four, ad infinitum)
carriers of choice.  There is no real need to keep a completely seperate
pipe sitting there dark.  If you anticiptate so many outages in your data
communications that having a dark pipe in your pocket is a reasonable
plan, you have bigger issues.

Large, profitable companies don't throw money away either...and a thing to
remember...that SMB may only need a redundant T1 to follow your
scenario...while an F500/200/100 likely needs a T3/OC3/OC48 to handle the
same business...the needs scale upward as well, folks...so it's not
throwaway money no matter who you are.

Cheers,