Date: Thu Jun  9 09:33:05 2005
From: chromazine at sbcglobal.net (Steve Kudlak)
Subject: Off topic rant to my friends

I dunno if this is any worse than the many, many replies one sees to
some hot topic about Microsoft and stuff like that.. Overall everytime I
went to a security conference users got insulted. They were stupid, they
fell for things, hook line and sinker etc. etc. etc. Of course sometimes
the "professionals" never mentioned that the poor users are bombarded by
a bunch of directives that are not explained and are hard to follow and
seem like another stupid directive handed down from on-high that ask
them to do something difficult without explaining how, for example how
to pick passwords that are not in the dictionary. The take a phrase and
take the first letter technique is something that does not intuitively
spring to mind to everyone. It took a lecture to explain that "F*CK
SUSAN and BOB" were not good passwords. N.B. I have been around for
awhile and on the old TOPS-20 Systems passwords were not intially
encrypted. So it was easy to find actual passwords and tell people not
to use those. Now things are encrypted and all that  but still a
weakpassword doesn't work and other small things that people could do to
be just reasonably careful they don't. Dunno how much verbage to waste
on random issues.

Have Fun,
Sends Steve

I read the article and it was interesting. I don't quite know how much
of it to believe. It is clear some people are up to something
questionable. Whether it fits the model the authors have of well
coordinated effort to deliver services to organized crime maybe a bit
much on the conspiracy side for me tyo swallow. Security experts often
miss that they use FUD without knowing it.

But it is still to be careful because there are people who don't realise
one's machine might be for something important and not just a plaything
for others to mess with and ruin if they had a bad day or wanted to play
weird "process war games".

Have Fun,
Sends Steve