Date: Thu Jun 30 19:34:11 2005
From: toddtowles at brookshires.com (Todd Towles)
Subject: Publishing exploit code - what is it good for

 Erick,

How do you plan to mitigate known vulnerabilities in your network
without a POC? I guess you can just assume your systems are vulnerable
and then wait on the vendor to fix it...with your hands tied? I am sure
Microsoft will have that patch out next year for you.

Exploit code is used by people to mitigate known vulnerabilities where a
patch isn't out yet. It protects people...but it does hurt people. So do
cars..so do guns. But pointing your gun (network) around blind (without
knowing if you are truly vulnerable) is not something a lot of people
want to do.

I have seen public exploit code force a company to fix the issue. You
are right, you have to assume blackhats have the exploit, do you not
want to same tool? To study to make a plan of blocking the attack before
a patch is released.

I remember a couple of IE vulns that were "patched" but security
researchers used modified public exploit code to show that only the
attack vector was patched, not the core problem. Forcing a company to
look deeper into the issue. Everyone is entitled to their own view, just
my 2 cents.