Date: Tue Jul  5 13:48:03 2005
From: tobin.craig at va.gov (Craig, Tobin (OIG))
Subject: RE: Tools accepted by the courts

Jerry,

I have to disagree with Jason on this, I think you're on the right
track; Computer forensics needs to be regarded in the same light as
other forensics fields and held to the same standards to maintain any
credibility in the future.

Jason:

I apologize on behalf of the rest of the community who are trying to
find a way forward in this.  Obviously by the tone of your previous
contributions, you have the whole field sewn up.  Perhaps when you
publish your definitive work, we'll all be able to enjoy the view from
your vantage point.  But until then, I for one don't appreciate the
belligerence and the patronizing.

Perhaps in my 20 years of international forensic science in 8 different
disciplines I've missed something fundamental concerning forensic
investigation or evidence handling.  If so, then please be sure to
include a chapter, I'd love to see where I've been going wrong over the
last two decades.

If you are waiting for witnesses to paint a worst case scenario every
time they hit the stand, then don't hold your breath.  Our job is to
make this stuff understandable in an impartial way.  It doesn't matter
how much you know or how much you understand if you cannot impart that
information in a meaningful way to your audience, be it a judge, jury,
or your granny.

This is just my opinion folks.

Respectfully yours,

(unprejudiced, because that's how we are supposed to be professionally,
trying to find the correct answer in place of the easy answer, knowing
that yes there are those who would exploit this field like any other,
but also knowing the way to see the standards increased is by doing my
best to ensure that I've done my job to the best of my ability, -- I
would like to hope you are more interested in finding the right way
forward over promoting your own agenda, although sadly I'm seeing much
of the good you have to say get lost in overly aggressive verbage.....)

Please think twice about your delivery, you're only hurting yourself,

Tobin Craig
Tobin Craig, MRSC, CISSP, SCERS, EnCE
IT Forensic Director, Computer Crimes and Forensics
Department of Veterans Affairs
Office of Inspector General
801 I Street NW
Washington DC 20001