Date: Thu Jul  7 09:45:40 2005
From: reece.mills at charter.net (Reece Mills)
Subject: Researching IMISERV (wupdt.exe)

What!?  No Takers?!!!

http://www.trendmicro.com/vinfo/virusencyclo/default5.asp?VName=TROJ_IMISERV.A
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/backdoor.imiserv.html

PLEASE!!!  Your neighbor is you and the friend is your wife. You
formated and re-installed the machine.

If your not trolling...

You want to infect a butt-load of educational systems (no doubt on an
.edu network, no doubt exposed to the public) with a virus (Trojan
really).

~From McAfee:

This program is not a virus. However, it may seem to have trojan like
behaviour. There is more than one version of this program. Users may
observe a slightly different behaviour.

This program is a download component of the IMIServ application. When
run, it installs itself onto the target machine as %WinDir%\wupdt.exe
. It attempts to download content from a remote server. The following
Registry entries are added to hook system startup:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Run "Win Server Updt" = WUPDT.EXE

Seems to be installed by some pop-up adverts (this is difficult to
track down).

To enable detection for this program, please refer to the instructions
below about how to configure application-type detections within
VirusScan v7+. Alternatively, users could run the command line scanner
with the /PROGRAM switch.

How much do you make maybe I'll want to work for you.

- --Reece