Date: Fri Jul  8 10:52:13 2005
From: jan at horde.org (Jan Schneider)
Subject: Re: [USN-147-1] PHP XMLRPC vulnerability

Zitat von Matt Zimmerman <mdz@...onical.com>:

> On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 11:14:21AM +0200, Jan Schneider wrote:
>> Zitat von Martin Pitt <martin.pitt@...onical.com>:
>>
>> >Please note that many applications contain a copy of the affected
>> >XMLRPC code,
>> >which must be fixed separately. The following packages may also be
>> >affected,
>> >but are unsupported in Ubuntu:
>> >
>> >- drupal
>> >- wordpress
>> >- phpwiki
>> >- horde3
>> >- ewiki
>> >- egroupware
>> >- phpgroupware
>>
>> To avoid confusion, I want to make clear that Horde applications are
>> NOT affected by this vulnerability because we don't use the vulnerable
>> software. I would appreciate if such statements would be cross checked
>> with the projects before releasing them to the public.
>
> The text above is quite clear in its terms; note in particular the language
> "contain a copy of the affected XMLRPC code" and "may also be affected".
> It merely informs the reader that this code has been duplicated in other
> places, and warns that the presence of a vulnerability was not confirmed in
> these other packages.

Indeed, and I rather consider this as spreading FUD instead of being
helpful to users. Helpful would have been if they instead asked the
suspected projects and make an informed statement about which software
actually IS affected. But this might be my personal point of view.

Jan.

http://horde.org/consulting/