Date: Fri Jul 15 14:28:55 2005
From: Rik.Bobbaers at cc.kuleuven.be (Rik Bobbaers)
Subject: Rooting Linux with a floppy

On Friday 15 July 2005 02:23, Sumy wrote:
> You have lost your root password on your linux box and now you
> consider formatting
> everythign to regain control? Your admin is a moron that leaves the
> server available
> physically for everybody? You wanna test your Linux box? Don't worry
> if you have at least
> a floppy rescue disk under hand,you can root it ;-) )
>
> The problem with the new version of Linux since 6.2 is :
> http://www.exploitx.com/69/rooting-linux-with-a-floppy/

lol... linux 6.2 , i must be an idiot... i'm still running an ancient 2.6.12
kernel!

but one good thing, i don't think i'm vulnerable, i don't have a floppy drive!
(thank god, i thought i would need an upgrade!)

btw. how about this rooting technique: i remove the disk from the system, put
it in another system, start that system (with another os off course) mount
rootfs, chroot there and CLEAR the passwd!

damn... this is so stupid, it MUST be a joke ;)

ps. this actually works :pppppppp

--
harry
aka Rik Bobbaers

K.U.Leuven - LUDIT          -=- Tel: +32 485 52 71 50
Rik.Bobbaers@...kuleuven.be -=- http://harry.ulyssis.org

Disclaimer:
By sending an email to ANY of my addresses you are agreeing that:
  1. I am by definition, "the intended recipient"
  2. All information in the email is mine to do with as I see fit and make
such financial profit, political mileage, or good joke as it lends itself to.
In particular, I may quote it on usenet.
  3. I may take the contents as representing the views of your company.
  4. This overrides any disclaimer or statement of confidentiality that may be
included on your message.