Date: Wed Jul 27 14:41:00 2005
From: shrdlu at deaddrop.org (Etaoin Shrdlu)
Subject: Our Industry Is Seriously Ethics Impaired

Jeeze, people. Trim your posts. Also, top posting is for amateurs.

Adam Jones wrote:

> What exactly is wrong with this? I personally would rather have 3com
> buying up exploits (probably under an agreement for exclusive access)
> instead of having them sold to the highest, probably malicious,
> bidder. Even if someone sells it to both there is a more reputable
> group that has the exploit and can help with mitigation.

Uh-huh. iDefense and tipping point are oh, so trustworthy. I choose whom to
trust, and that would be whom, not what. A corporation is not a "whom," it
is a body of people, some of who may be trustworthy, but in the aggregate,
it is a controlled mob.

In addition to all this, what you see from this sort of marketplace is that
people who might otherwise pursue gainful employment, instead hope to
enrich themselves by writing yet another exploit against the extraodinarily
fragile infrastructure that we've created for ourselves by allowing
monoculturalism to replace common sense.

> On 7/26/05, J.A. Terranson <measl@....org> wrote:
> >
> > Yet another voice baying at the moon.

Ditto.

--
It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion.
It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed,