Date: Thu Jul 28 00:34:50 2005
From: James.Williams at ca.com (Williams, James K)
Subject: Our Industry Is Seriously Ethics Impaired

> List:       full-disclosure
> Subject:    RE: [Full-disclosure] Our Industry Is Seriously
> Ethics Impaired
> From:       security curmudgeon <jericho () attrition ! org>
> Date:       2005-07-27 21:30:22
> attrition ! org
>
> On Wed, 27 Jul 2005, DAN MORRILL wrote:
>
> : So is 3com willing to lean on Oracle or Microsoft, or Real,
> : or anyone else to get the patch done in a reasonable time
> : frame? So that the finder of the issue does not get bored
> : or angry or worried that someone else will discover it and
> : then claim full credit for it?
>
> Why would they lean on any vendor? It is in their best
> interest to let the vendor take as long as they want to fix an
> issue.
>
> Remember that they share this information with their paying
> clients, so the longer it is "0-day", the longer it is
> "exclusive" to 3com/clients, the more value it has. Pushing on
> a vendor to patch it faster doesn't do them near as much good
> in the end.

Yes, there is value in sharing it first with the paying
customers, but there is also great value in eventually disclosing
it to the public.  Public disclosure == advertising, for both
the vuln buyer and the vuln discoverer.  I've found that
commercial entities who deal in 3rd party vulnerabilities usually
want to share with the public after a few weeks/months.
Commercial entities who sell vuln audit/scanner/pen-test software
usually don't want to share all of their exploit code or
vulnerability information though.  They want to share just enough
to get people interested in their products/services.

The only entities who may have no interest in disclosure are:

- the vendors who made and sell the vulnerable products
- people who practice non-disclosure on principle
- exploit hoarders (everybody needs a secret stash of 0-day)
- vendors who sell vuln audit/scanner/pen-test software

So, I guess we will have to wait and see exactly what 3Com
plans to do with the vuln info.

Regards,
kw

Ken Williams ; Vulnerability Research