Date: Fri Jul 29 21:33:34 2005
From: lists at domain-logic.com (Randall Perry)
Subject: Cisco IOS Shellcode Presentation

Quoting Valdis.Kletnieks@...edu:
<snip>
> Your only perfect defense here is implementing all of it in a custom ASIC,
> which in itself is insane - if a logic or timing bug is found, you're
> looking at having to do a hardware replacement rather than just downloading
> a new software load.  You can cut some of the pain with an FPGA, but that's
> still a whole different league than a software solution.
System-on-a-chip design can be very cost effective when used on a massive scale.
 (just look at 3M cards from Newcomm used in the [formerly] Hughes satellite
network).

when embedded into a familiar form-factor (like a credit card or smart card),
replacements for updates is easy.  Thousands upon thousands of users performing
user-friendly updates with a simple card swap.

Even for producing less than 500 units there are vendors ready to jump at the
chance to replace FPGA setups (because we are talking about complex 2k+ gate count).

Unlike PC's, the design wouldn't have to be retooled with every lunar cycle.
Maybe once every 6 months or a year.

Just give Oxford Semiconductor or AMI a call.
> You think debugging a BGP wedgie(*) is tough now, remember that even IOS is
> able to do a small amount of introspection and tell you what's going on.
Is that what you call what you do to someone who provides 'fault tolerance'
through round-robin DNS? A bgp wedgie?

> almost impossible with an ASIC or FPGA based solution...
>
> (*) Yes, it's really called that.  Google for 'BGP Wedgie' if you don't
> believe me. :)
Ah, flashbacks of highschool.

-RandallP
                   \|/